[INES Announce] Next Friday: Jack Brown's new book, Spanning the Gilded Age, at the CHSTM working group

Ryan Hearty rhearty1 at jhu.edu
Fri Mar 8 08:07:33 PST 2024

Dear INES members,

Next Friday, March 15, at 10am EDT, our Engineering Studies working group will explore the new book by Dr Jack Brown<https://engineering.virginia.edu/faculty/john-k-jack-brown> (University of Virginia), titled Spanning the Gilded Age: James Eads and the Great Steel Bridge<https://www.press.jhu.edu/books/title/12518/spanning-gilded-age> (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press)<https://www.press.jhu.edu/books/title/12518/spanning-gilded-age>. "At the broadest level," Jack writes, "Spanning the Gilded Age explores the work of a brilliant polymath, the nature of engineering creativity, and the shifting tides of success and failure across time." We are thrilled to host Jack next Friday and learn more about his exciting new book. You can read the preface and third chapter, which we have posted as a PDF to our group's CHSTM homepage<https://www.chstm.org/content/engineering-studies-0> (login required).

We hope to see you there!

Best wishes,

Ryan Hearty and Ellan Spero, co-chairs

Ryan Hearty, Ph.D.
Lecturer, Center for Leadership Education, Johns Hopkins University
LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/rhearty1/>

Ellan F. Spero, Ph.D.
Instructor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Co-Founder and Professor of the Practice, Station1
LinkedIn<https://dmse.mit.edu/faculty/ellan-spero/>

On behalf of the "Engineering Studies" working group at CHSTM
https://www.chstm.org/content/engineering-studies-0