[INES Announce] Intro and conference announcement

Cooper, Adam adam.cooper at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Nov 8 01:49:41 PST 2022

Hi All
I’m new to INES but hope to meet some/all of you at some point in the future. I work on engineering policy (cf ‘science policy’) and so the topics of engineering studies are relevant to my work and that of my doctoral team. You can see a link to a recent paper of mine in this area in my signature below. I’d be keen to connect with anyone who has an interest in this area – there’s very little written on this (Carl Mitcham excepted) and almost no empirical evidence at all.

Also I wanted to make sure you all know about a neighbouring community that organises around the International Society for Transdisciplinary Engineering<https://intsoctransde.org/>, and meet annually at a Transdisciplinary Engineering conference. It’s an interesting community from an engineering studies perspective as they are a group of engineers (largely aerospace and design manufacturing) who are keen to step outside the boundaries of ‘normal engineering’ and move tentatively towards something more post-normal. Part of the issue with the community is the lack of engagement with social sciences more generally (there’s usually only 2-3 of us at any conference) so connecting with engineering studies community seems a great way to strengthen and augment both communities.

I’m the programme chair this coming year (TE2023 in Thailand<http://te2023.ait.ac.th/>) and so (being from a more social science/policy background) I prised open a space where engineering studies and similar scholars could bring their insight and work including “critical issues in TE”) – would be great if some of you could make it. If you have any questions about it, please do get in touch with me.

Bw
Adam

Dr Adam Cooper<https://www.ucl.ac.uk/steapp/people/cooper> | Assoc Prof., Engineering Policy |@draccoops | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/adam-cooper-4879436/>
UCL STEaPP | www.ucl.ac.uk/steapp<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/steapp> | +44 (0)20 3108 9411 | location:device.means.become<https://what3words.com/device.means.become>

[signature_3855016861]
   Find out about our Master of Public Administration (MPA):
   Sci/Eng & Policy<https://www.ucl.ac.uk/steapp/study/masters-public-administration-mpa/science-engineering-and-public-policy-mpa> | Sust. Infrastructures<https://www.ucl.ac.uk/steapp/study/masters-public-administration-mpa/sustainable-infrastructures-and-public-policy-mpa> | Urban<https://www.ucl.ac.uk/steapp/study/masters-public-administration-mpa/urban-innovation-and-policy-mpa> | Development<https://www.ucl.ac.uk/steapp/study/masters-public-administration-mpa/development-technology-and-innovation-policy-mpa> | Digital<https://www.ucl.ac.uk/steapp/study/masters-public-administration-mpa/digital-technologies-and-policy-mpa>

My latest papers
Cooper, A.C.G. et al (2021) Engineering advice in policy-making: a new domain of inquiry in evidence and policy<https://doi.org/10.1332/174426420X15852883943798>. Evidence & Policy: A Journal of Research, Debate & Practice