[INES Announce] INES updates - leadership change, membership survey, and request for renewals

Jessica Smith jmsmith at mines.edu
Mon Nov 14 19:22:57 PST 2022

INTERNATIONAL NETWORK FOR ENGINEERING STUDIES

Jessica M. Smith, Chair; Caitlin Wylie, Vice Chair; Konstantinos Konstantis, Secretar; Jonah Bea-Taylor, Treasurer

Dear INES community:

Our thoughts are with our friends and colleagues at UVA as they cope with the tragic loss of life on grounds, and will remain with them as they support their colleagues and students in the coming days, weeks, months, and years. The university’s Department of Engineering and Society has been a crucial node of our network and inspiration for many of us.

As we approach the end of the calendar year, I’m writing with important INES leadership updates and two requests - one for membership renewals and one for your responses to a brief survey to help start the future visioning process for INES and Engineering Studies.

  1.  Change in leadership

It’s been an honor to serve as your INES chair for the past year and as Vice Chair working with Astushi Akera for the previous two. I’ll be stepping down at the end of December 2022 in order to step into the Editor-in-Chief role of our journal Engineering Studies. I adore scholarly publishing and am thrilled for the opportunity to build on what Gary Downey and Cyrus Mody have built for our intellectual community. Please look for upcoming announcements and opportunities to plan for the journal’s next stages.

I’m thrilled to announce that Brent Jesiek (Purdue)<https://web.ics.purdue.edu/~bjesiek/> will be stepping in as chair. If you know our network, you know that Brent has been a key figure in its development. He’s been serving as our webmaster for as long as I’ve been familiar with the network and does a lot of work behind the scenes to keep the membership enrollments and listservs going.

Please join me in thanking Brent, Cyrus and Atsushi for all their contributions to this network!

  1.  Future visioning for INES and Engineering Studies – brief survey

The leadership team is eager for your input as we imagine the future of INES, Engineering Studies, and the relationship between the two. Please help us plan by taking this brief survey<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdaW1Ia2AFJ9Ep8rlZy4m0A_r8Kg7fWozWi3HWwnAi0Bw4dow/viewform?usp=sf_link>. We’ll also be looking forward to meet-ups at our conferences and a potential hybrid event in the spring for us to plan together.

  1.  Please, please, please renew your membership!

We rely on membership to support both the network and the Engineering Studies journal. Please renew your membership for 2023 now by visiting our website<https://inesweb.org/join>.

I’ll be renewing at a supporting rate. As you may recall, we instituted different rates to support our membership and programming in a more just way:

Regular Rate

(US $60)

For professionals, INES membership includes a one-year subscription to Engineering Studies at the discounted, at-cost rate of US $45 (versus the normal individual rate that can be four times this amount), as well as a US $15 annual fee to cover INES’ operating expenses related to publishing, web hosting, and member services.

________________________________

Discounted Rate

(US $10-$45)

For students, retirees, those on reduced income, and scholars from non-OECD countries, join or renew on a sliding scale. The at-cost rate of $45 includes a one-year subscription to Engineering Studies. The below-cost rate of $25 includes the journal pending availability of support from supporting/sponsoring members. The organization can also be joined without the journal subscription on a self-assessed, sliding scale of $10, $15, or $20.

Supporting ($100) or Sponsoring Member ($175)

Those wishing to step up their support for INES can join at the Supporting ($100) or Sponsoring levels ($175), each of which includes a one-year subscription to Engineering Studies. The additional resources provided by Supporting and Sponsoring members helps expand the reach and impact of INES, including by subsidizing journal subscriptions for those who join the organization at the discounted membership rate.

Take care,

Jessica

Jessica M. Smith<https://www.jessicamsmith.net/> (she/her/hers)
Professor, Engineering, Design, and Society Department<https://www.mines.edu/eds/>