[INES Announce] Engineering Studies AAA Panel

Elizabeth Reddy reddy at mines.edu
Thu Apr 4 20:59:42 PDT 2024

Hello all,

If you’re considering this year’s  American Anthropological<https://annualmeeting.americananthro.org/> Association meeting, here’s a CFP.
Please respond  to reddy at mines.edu<mailto:reddy at mines.edu> and appelhas at lafayette.edu<mailto:appelhas at lafayette.edu> with an abstract of no more than 250 words by Wednesday April 24, 2024

Session Abstract: Engineering Praxis: Exploring Engineers’ Engagements with Theory and Practice

Praxis is our starting point to frame anthropological engagements with engineering. We often understand engineering to facilitate disengagement from social politics, or the denial of the agency of ordinary practitioners, who are subsumed into depoliticized modes  of doing modern, objective technoscience. These conventions are, however, the product of particular kinds of disciplinary configurations that unfold within and through material and social conditions.  Engineers do exert agency over their work,and will continue to do so.

We ask: How do engineers construct relationships between theory and practice, and what might ethnographic attention on this issue help us understand?  We call for papers that explore how values, ideas, or politics are embodied and otherwise engaged in engineering.  Might ethnographic attention help us consider issues like techno-social dualism and techno optimism as lived practices, allowing us to both nuance our critiques and find new ways of thinking? We seek explorations of what particular configurations of praxis make possible for engineers and engineering. We look forward to papers which explore failures and flourishing alike.

Best,
Beth Reddy and Sarah Appelhans

Elizabeth Reddy, PhD
she/her/hers

Assistant Professor | Engineering, Design, & Society | Geophysics
Associate Director | Humanitarian Engineering and Science
Colorado School of Mines

reddy at mines.edu<mailto:reddy at mines.edu>  |  www.elizabethreddy.info<http://www.elizabethreddy.info>