[INES Announce] Humanitarian Engineering and Science: an Interdisciplinary Sociotechical Master's Program at Mines

Elizabeth Reddy reddy at mines.edu
Mon Nov 6 07:00:00 PST 2023

Hi!

I hope you can share this with anyone else who you think might be interested.

Are you looking for a graduate program to help amplify the social impact of your STEM training? Please consider joining the Humanitarian Engineering and Science graduate program<https://humanitarian.mines.edu/mshes/> at Colorado School of Mines. Our students learn to tackle big challenges, from building low-cost instrumentation to detect pollution, to doing capacity building with communities.

[Image]<https://humanitarian.mines.edu/mshes/>

The big challenges we face will not be solved by technology alone. They require a nuanced understanding of social systems and people. Our HES program is unique in integrating social science and STEM perspectives throughout students’ coursework, mentorship, and projects. Master’s students select a disciplinary specialty in data science, environmental engineering, geological engineering, geophysics, or robotics. They can also design their own interdisciplinary specialty with the help of a faculty member.

Mines supports students in multiple ways:

  *   We help students put their knowledge to work in the field along with faculty mentors, other students, and community-based organizations. Many of our current students, for example, are partnering with MIT and rural Colombian communities to co-design locally appropriate technologies to help increase food security and make small-scale artisanal mining more sustainable<https://www.minesnewsroom.com/news/midst-global-pandemic-mines-humanitarian-engineering-continues-community-development-work>.
  *   Our Career Center helps students put their best foot forward with job fairs and jobs postings, as well as résumé and interviewing guidance. Each semester, we welcome more than 300 employers to campus for full-day recruiting sessions and other individual visits and events.
  *   Our graduates go on to impactful careers in the public, private, and educational sectors. Learn about three recent graduates<https://humanitarian.mines.edu/student-stories/> and how their careers have been impacted.

A variety of options exist for financial support, including Shultz Scholarships (up to $20,000 per year) and Humanitarian Engineering and Science Ambassador Scholarships for low-income students with unmet need (up to $10,000 per year for two years). Learn more about these and other opportunities<https://humanitarian.mines.edu/mshes/>.

Apply this fall for priority placement! If you have questions I can answer, please ask.

 Elizabeth Reddy, PhD
she/her/hers

Assistant Professor | Engineering, Design, & Society | Geophysics
Associate Director | Humanitarian Engineering and Science
Colorado School of Mines

reddy at mines.edu<mailto:reddy at mines.edu>  |  www.elizabethreddy.info<http://www.elizabethreddy.info/>