[INES Announce] AAA/CASCA Annual Meeting 2023 CfP: INES Panel

Sarah Appelhans sea019 at bucknell.edu
Tue Mar 14 11:05:02 PDT 2023

Hi All,

We are organizing an INES panel for the AAA/CASCA Annual Meeting in Toronto (see below for this year’s CfP). Please consider submitting your work!

Please send your abstract (575 words) to Beth Reddy (reddy at mines.edu) and/or Sarah Appelhans (sea019 at bucknell.edu) by Wed, March 22. More information on the AAA meeting can be found here: https://annualmeeting.americananthro.org/submissions/general-call-for-participation/

> Making, Breaking, and Working with Boundaries: Studies of Engineers and Engineering
>
> Anthropological scholarship on engineering shows us that while this category is of practice has broad social salience and is subject to contest and redefinition. Recent work in the field asks us to consider engineers as key agents in producing human relationships to environments (Vaughn 2022, Reddy 2023), but also points out that engineering is a field in which notions of responsibility and agency are changing (Smith 2021).
>
> With this panel, we invite anthropologists whose work deals with engineers and engineering, broadly defined, to consider the practices of engineering. We ask: What conceptual and social boundarymaking does the field of engineering depend on? What boundaries does engineering break or otherwise transgress? How might engineers work in and through this professional category, and with what material and social effects?

Hope to reconnect with you all in Toronto!

Sarah

Sarah Appelhans
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Bucknell University