[INES Announce] INES Updates and Annual Membership Request

Jesiek, Brent K bjesiek at purdue.edu
Tue Dec 19 10:35:34 PST 2023

Dear INES members and friends:

As I wrap up the year in my role as Chair of INES, I write with a few important updates and reminders. First of all, we hope you will join INES<https://inesweb.org/join> in 2024. We are a registered non-profit with a small budget - and are working hard to sustain Engineering Studies as a vital outlet and forum for the field. As noted below, we are also eager to seed new initiatives and activities - and your membership can help support that!

To be sure, 2023 has been a busy year for us - although some of that activity has been behind the scenes. We have all been impressed with Jessica Smith's deft transition into the journal's Editor-in-Chief role, and hope you've perused the three outstanding issues<https://www.tandfonline.com/loi/test20> that she helped produce this year. I have also been working closely with Jessica and Matt Wisnioski (Editorial Board Chair) to negotiate a revised contract with Taylor & Francis. We soon hope to have a signed agreement with terms that are generally consistent with how the journal has operated historically - no small feat given how the world of academic change continues to change! And as yet one more item to highlight, we were happy to return to our tradition of organizing events with a hybrid INES workshop held in tandem with the IEEE ETHICS-2023 meeting in mid-May and attracting more than 30 participants.

To increase our activity and momentum, we hope some of you will consider volunteering to support INES over the coming year. We are especially in need of members to assist with three new committees that our officers and directors are eager to launch and ramp up in 2024, namely: 1) Membership survey (to identify how INES can best serve its diverse membership), 2) Best paper awards (to recognize outstanding scholarship in the field), and 3) Workshops/events (to organize high quality events for sharing scholarship and networking). If you are willing to volunteer to support any of these initiatives, please take a moment to fill out this brief interest form: https://forms.gle/EEVsy51p88BsVQJW7

Thank you for continuing to support INES - and we look forward to interacting with many of you in 2024. It has been my honor to serve as Chair, and this coming year I am looking forward to working with my outstanding colleague Caitlin Wylie (UVA) as we transition into Co-Chair roles. And once again, please remember to show your support for INES by joining/renewing!

https://inesweb.org/join

I wish you all the best for a restful and restorative break, and an enjoyable holiday season.

--
Brent K. Jesiek, Ph.D. (he/him/his)