[INES Announce] Jessica Smith named new EIC of Engineering Studies!

Matthew Wisnioski mwisnios at vt.edu
Thu Sep 29 11:48:04 PDT 2022

Dear Friends,

It’s with great pleasure that I introduce Jessica M. Smith as the
new Editor-in-Chief of *Engineering Studies. *Jessica is a Professor
in the Engineering,
Design & Society Department at Colorado School of Mines. She holds a
bachelor’s degree in Anthropology, International Studies and Latin American
Studies from Macalester College and a PhD in Anthropology from the University
of Michigan. She is the author of *Extracting Accountability: Engineering
and Corporate Social Responsibility* (MIT Press, 2021), *Mining Coal and
Undermining Gender: Rhythms of Work and Family in the American West *(Rutgers,
2014), and over fifty peer-reviewed articles and book chapters with an
impressive array of interdisciplinary collaborators. For the past two
years, Jessica has strengthened the International Network of Engineering
Studies as the organization’s chair.

The editorial board of *Engineering Studies *is honored to have Jessica’s
leadership. After nearly fifteen years of publishing interdisciplinary
scholarship, *Engineering Studies* is no longer an upstart publication. We
thus were especially impressed with Jessica’s vision “to make a systematic
assessment of where we have been and pathways for where we could go.” When
she assumes the helm this January she will find the journal in excellent
shape as *Engineering Studies *has grown in impact and international
influence under the leadership of Cyrus Mody and Gary Downey before him. Now
we face new opportunities and challenges, especially related to open access
and open science. As we address these important issues, Jessica is
committed to making the journal a model for equity and scholarly excellence.

In the coming weeks and months, you will hear about a series of events from
INES and *Engineering Studies *aimed at gathering input to deepen our
community bonds and set our future course. We encourage you to participate
as we build the field together.

Meantime, please join me in congratulating Jessica!

All the Best,

Matt Wisnioski

Chair, EIC Search Committee
Chair, *Engineering Studies *editorial board

--
Matthew Wisnioski
Associate Professor, Science, Technology, and Society