[INES Announce] Join INES at conferences this fall

Jessica Smith jmsmith at mines.edu
Tue Oct 18 06:03:40 PDT 2022

Good morning!

This fall INES members will be sponsoring meetups and panels at some of our key conferences. We are energized about the opportunity to reconvene and look forward to seeing many of you.

These meetups will be strategically important to both INES and our journal Engineering Studies. I’m thrilled to be moving into the Editor in Chief role at Engineering Studies starting in January, following in the footsteps of Gary Downey and Cyrus Mody. I’m inspired by the work they’ve done to nurture our intellectual community and ensure that it is truly international in scope. I aim to build on these strengths while ensuring that the journal is well positioned in relation to broader shifts in publishing trends. To do that, we need your input.

There are multiple opportunities to reconvene at SHOT. Amy Bix shares the following:

The Prometheans are scheduled a Special Interest Group meeting on Sunday, Nov. 13 at 9:30 a.m. for conversation about research, teaching, and other topics in the history of engineering. Ellan Spero has also organized two paper sessions sponsored by the Prometheans - one on "Engineering Empire, Globalization and Technological Change, Part A" on Fri. Nov. 11 at 8:30 a.m., and the second, "Engineering Empire, Globalization and Technological Change, Part B" on Fri. Nov. 11 at 10:30 a.m.

We are also planning meetups at AAA (also November) and 4S (December). Please keep a look out for announcements sharing more details soon.

Finally, we aim to host a more general INES workshop/conference in the spring, likely in hybrid format to facilitate participation by our members.

All the best,
Jessica

Jessica M. Smith<https://www.jessicamsmith.net/> (she/her/hers)
Professor, Engineering, Design, and Society Department<https://www.mines.edu/eds/>