[INES Announce] Seeking a very specific type of paper, please/thanks.

Julie Mark Cohen jmcohen at jmcohenpe.com
Sun Aug 21 16:32:48 PDT 2022

Hello.

Licensed engineers have ethical responsibilities for the health, safety, and welfare of the public.  Often, these ethical responsibilities cross borders into legal obligations to society.
(I am one of these licensed engineers.  My research stems from my ethical responsibilities to the public.)

What are the ethical responsibilities of Engineering Studies researchers to the public (i.e., society)?  I am looking for published papers, preferably peer-reviewed papers, preferably (for now) in English.

I am asking, because I have found no papers that address this topic.  I am hoping that I missed finding them.  If there truly are no papers, then I need to identify this as a research need.
(These papers will be cited in my very-soon-to-be-submitted critical participation manuscript," Thoughts on Increasing the Relevance of Engineering Studies for Realities in Engineering Practice," for Engineering Studies.)

As for a discussion on this topic, if enough people are interested, maybe it could be a topic for a 2022-2023 webinar for the Engineering Studies Working Group of the CHSTM?

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Julie

Julie Mark Cohen, PhD, PE
Consulting Structural and Forensic Engineer /
Historian of Engineering Design /
Research Affiliate, Program in Science, Technology, and Society, MIT
7 Starlight Road
Latham, NY 12110-4727
Tel  (518) 782-5235
Cell (518) 364-0260